Sunday, January 29th, 2017 – Troop Meeting
- When: 4 PM
- PLC: 3:30 PM -4:00 PM
- All Scouts: 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Location: Acree Hall, IHM.
- Who: All Scouts, Adult Leaders, and Parents
- Uniform: Class A
- Normal PLC Meeting before the meeting.
- Special presentation by Mrs. Ortwein
- Continued work on First Aid
Thursday, February 5th, 2017 – Scoutmaster Meeting
The monthly Scout Master meeting will be held at Mrs. Petit’s house.
- When: Thursday, Feb 2nd– 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Location: Mrs. Pettit’s Hosue (contact Scoutsmaster@bsatroop727.org for address)
- Who: All Scoutmasters. Parents are welcome.
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 – Scout Sunday
A Scout is Reverent. Please join the troop at IHM for their 12:30 PM service. Our troop will be taking part in the service and celebrating mass with our charter organization. The entire family is welcome, not just the scouts.
- When: Arrive at 12:00 PM to assemble in the main entrance of IHM for the 12:30 PM Service
- Location: Front Entrace of IHM.
- Who: All Scouts, Adult Leaders, and Families are invited
- Uniform: Class A (including sashes, neckerchiefs & any medals earned as a Boy Scout)
- We ask that scouts stay after the service for some troop pictures.
- We are looking for some adults who are Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion at IHM to volunteer to help at communion that Sunday. Please contact Mark Ihrig or Mr. Wood if you can help.
- We will also have scouts serving as additional door greeters, servers, and helping with various other aspects of the service.
- Also watch for more information coming about a collection for a nation wide shoe drive called Soles 4 Souls on Scout Sunday. J. Neils is running this drive for our Troop and will provide additional information on how you can help soon.
- Look for some old shoes that you can donate and bring them with you!
Sunday, February 5th, 2017 – PLC Meeting
- When: 2:00 PM – 4:30 PM
- Location: IHM Meeting Room 1
- Who: PLC and Adult Leaders
- Uniform: Class A
- The meeting will get started soon after the service lets out for Scout Sunday.
- Additional planning for the rest of the current PLC term covering meetings and camp outs.
Announcements, Announcements, Announcements, Announcements!!
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT), hosted at Camp Michaels, is more than just another summer program; it’s a leadership training course designed to show boys how to lead. Many of our youth leaders have taken this course in the past, and several are now on staff for the course. Find out more about NYLT at Dan Beard by checking out their website. This year the troop is offering scholarships for up to four boys to help offset the cost (see more below)
Note that NYLT training is a requirement in our troop to run for Senior Patrol Leader, as well as a requirement for the appointed position of Assistant Senior Patrol leader.
Evan announced at the meeting on Jan 22nd that any boy interested in the scholarship should talk to Mr. Wood. The scholarships will be award to the first four boys to contact Mr. Wood and indicate they are interested in them. The cost of NYLT is $275 and the scholarship will pay for half of the training. Any boy receiving the scholarship must commit to actively serve in the troop in a leadership role for two years, or complete a Scoutmaster approved leadership project. Failure to do so may mean that you will need to reimburse the troop. You must be at least 13 years old and have First Class rank or higher to attend NYLT.
If you have an interest in attending and want the scholarship, contact to Mr. Wood. If you have questions about the training itself, please speak to E. Ihrig, or Mr. Ihrig.
Search & Rescue Camp Out – Feb 17th – 19th
The next outing is the Search & Rescue camp out. This is shaping up to be a weekend of scenarios and challenges to the boys first aid and emergency preparedness skills. Additional information will be provided soon, but the cost will be $10 and the outing will be down at Camp Michaels. Please sign up now if you’re interested.
Note, while the boys will be learning about emergency skills, first aid, and how to perform search and rescue strategies, they will not be working the Search & Rescue Merit Badge directly.
Summer Camp: Camp Falling Rock – July, 9th-15th
Mr. Davies has been working to make the summer camp arrangements for the camp the Troop had voted for this year: Camp Falling Rock. We are locked in for the week of July 9th-15th!
The cost of the summer camp itself is $270 per boy. There will be slightly more cost around gas and travel expenses, but since the camp is just east of Columbus, it won’t be a lot split out across the boys going. Firmer costs will be announced once we have a better idea of how many boys are interested. Look for additional information coming soon, including a summer camp information session. The deadline to register will be March 19th.
O Captain! My Captain! – Flying Pig Update
We have a Captain for our Flying Pig Marathon fundraiser- Mrs. Petit! But she wasn’t the only one to step forward. We also have Mrs. O’Connor and Mrs. Hayden who will be co-captains for the event. Look for more information coming soon about this fundraiser, but for now, pencil in Sunday, May 7th from 7AM to 1 PM on your calendar (estimated times). This is when we will need the most help! And by help we mean helping keep the runners hydrated and excited as they run in one our regions most popular events.
Last Call for Journey To Excellence 2016 Patch
Scouting’s “Journey to Excellence” is the BSA’s council performance recognition program designed to encourage and reward success and measure the performance of our units, districts, and councils. It is meant to encourage excellence in providing a quality program at all levels of the BSA. Troop 727 has been a Gold Level troop (the highest obtainable) for the past several years now. This is a big deal!
The Journey to Excellence, or JTE, Patch is worn on the right shoulder under the patrol emblem and each year the Scout can get swap out the previous years patch with the new one for the level the troop earned the previous year. The troop is happy to purchase the patch for each scout that wants one, but in the past we’ve noticed that not everyone sews them on. To cut back on getting a lot of patches that will go unused, we ask that you sign up on the activity registration page for a JTE patch if you’d like one. Just add “JTE 2016 Patch” to the Activity name.
This is the last call for the patch. Please register by Jan 29th if you’d like one for your uniform. Note that this replaces previous years patches. There should only be one JTE patch on the shirt.
Saturday, March 4, 2017-Youth Mental Health First Aid Training
We have planned a day of FREE training for our leaders and parents around Youth Mental Health. The training is a day long and is presented by someone from the Boone County Schools who are working via a grant to make this training free. We’ve been working with them since the fall to get a date determined. The following is a description of the training:
“Youth Mental Health First Aid is designed to teach parents, family members, caregivers, teachers, school staff, peers, neighbors, health and human services workers, and other caring citizens how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addictions challenge or is in crisis. Youth Mental Health First Aid is primarily designed for adults who regularly interact with young people. The course introduces common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development, and teaches a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations. Topics covered include anxiety, depression, substance use, disorders in which psychosis may occur, disruptive behavior disorders (including AD/HD), and eating disorders.”
- When: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Saturday, March 4th
- Location: Boone County Public Library, Florence Branch
- Who: All Adult Leaders and any Parents that have an interest.
- Uniform: None
- Register: Each individual participant must email Nicole Sofranko at email@example.com or call 859-334-3791 to register. Nicole will provide you with a confirmation of your registration and a reminder for this event.
- Please also send an email to Scoutmaster@bsatroop727.org to let Mr. Wood know you’ve registered.
- This is open to ALL of our Adult leaders and parents.
- This is NOT for Scouts. Please do not bring youth with you to the training.
- The training is FREE
- If you can’t make this meeting they have other meetings open to the public. The meeting on the 4th is specifically open to the Troop, but may also have others joining us.
- Saturday, Jan 21st 9 AM -4:30 PM at Scheben branch of the library.
- Wednesday, Feb 22nd 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM at Ralph Rush Center in Florence
Requirements Changes – January 1st, 2017
As of January 1st, 2017 ALL SCOUTS must now use the new requirements that were published in January of last year. The Boy Scout Handbook that came out in 2016 has all the new requirements in it, but you don’t have to purchase a new book. They have provided a printable PDF of requirements you can use to track your progress.
If you have a book prior to 2016 please check with a Scoutmaster to work out what requirements can transfer to the new system. Many of the requirements just changed a little and will still count toward a rank that you are working on. Check out the official answer in the FAQ published by the BSA.