Friday March 24- Swim Tests and Swimming MB
If you are not a member of the YMCA you will need to sign in and have your parent sign a waiver. Parents: please ensure you come in with your child when you drop them off to sign the waiver the YMCA has, otherwise they can not swim or even stay on the property.
- When: 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
- Location: R.C. Durr YMCA
- Who: Any Scout wishing to pass their swim tests for summer camp, Northern Tier, rank advancement and ALL boys who are registered for Swimming MB.
- Uniform: Please bring your swim suit, a towel and a change of clothes.
- Event Lead: Becky Ortwein
- If you are working on Swimming MB or your rank advancements related to swimming please bring your book.
- Those just taking the Swim test can show up between 6 PM and 7 PM to be worked into the tests.
- Those taking Swimming MB should expect to be at the pool for the duration.
- Another Swim Test opportunity will be on April 30th for Northern Tier and Summer Camp.
Sunday, March 26th – Troop Meeting
- PLC: 3:30 PM -4:00 PM – Regular PLC meeting
- All Scouts: 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Location: Acree Hall, IHM
- Who: All Scouts and Adult Leaders
- Uniform: Class A
- Deadline to sign up and pay for Summer Camp – Falling Rock
- Deadline to pay the deposit for Florida Seabase in 2018
- Regular PLC Meeting before the meeting.
- Actual Elections and possible appointments for positions! If were you not at the last meeting and are interested in a position, please email the email@example.com to indicate which position you are interested in.
Announcements, Announcements, Announcements, Announcements!!
Summer Camp – Falling Rock!
Falling Rock offers so much more than just merit badges. Please check out the information found on our website. Deadline to sign up and pay is March 26th. Anyone signing up after the deadline will end up paying $20 additional late fee imposed by the camp itself (not us).
If for any reason finances are a reason you are hesitant to sign up, please reach out to the Scoutmaster. This can be handled privately. We can set up payment plans as an option and there are funds available so that money is never a reason for a Scout not to participate.
Fish Fry Volunteers Still Needed – March 24 – April 7
We still need some help filling some slots to help bus tables at the Friday Fish Fry meals at IHM. The shift is from 4:45 PM to 8:30 PM. We especially need help on March 24th, 30th and April 7th.
Note that on April 7-9 is a scheduled campout, so those not planning on coming to the campout, or wishing to come late, please fill those spots! Please register on the event page using “Fish Fry Bus Tables” as the event title. Please indicate which dates you will be able to participate. Check the “Special Sign Ups” to see where we need help! This counts towards Service Hours for rank advancement! If you need them make sure a Troop leader gets your name that you were there.
Pancake Breakfast – Sunday, April 2nd
The Pancake breakfast is one of our major fundraisers for the troop. It will take place on April 2nd and we’ll need volunteers to help staff the event, plus ALL Scouts are expected to sell tickets. Here’s how this works:
- We have a few major fundraisers in the year and each Scout must work as a volunteer at least two of them. The pancake breakfast is one of these opportunities. Other opportunities will be later in the year (Spaghetti dinner, donuts and the flying pig marathon).
- We will have two shifts: Shift One (also known as the O-Dark-Thirty shift) is at 6:30 AM to 10:00 AM. Shift Two is at 9:30 AM to 1 PM. Note that there is overlap on these shifts on purpose.
- Scouts please sign up for a shift by using our registration page. Please indicate which shift you can do!
- Each Scout, regardless of if they can help at the actual breakfast date, is asked to sell at a minimum $25 worth of ticket sales. The costs of the tickets are $5/adult, $3 for ages 10 and lower and anyone under is 2 is free. A family of five ticket can be sold for $16. Sell two family tickets and you meet your minimum.
- Scouts and Scout families do not eat for free. So, there is at least some of your tickets right there!
- When selling the tickets mention that the proceeds go to both the Scout Troop itself, as well as we will be donating a percentage to the Feed My Starving Children organization. The boys voted on this charity at the last meeting.
- Any amount sold over the $25 minimum goes straight into the boys’ Scout Account to help pay for Scouting events like summer camp, campouts, etc. It’s a great way to subsidize the cost of the events throughout the year.
- Any amount not meeting the minimum amount of sales is expected to made up by the family of the scout. If you see only $20 worth of tickets you’ll need to provide the remaining $5.
- Since this is a fundraiser specifically for the troop it does NOT count as service hours.
Florida Seabase Opportunity! Deadline March 25th
Really short notice on this one, but we were selected for a slot at the BSA Florida High Adventure Seabase! This is a great opportunity, but the spaces are limited to 2 adults and six boys. This opportunity was announced last week via email as well as at the meeting on Sunday.
The date is July 19th-25th, 2018. The estimated cost will be $1,400 to $1,500 per boy to cover the entire trip (including transportation, the adventure and food). We have put a limit of boys ages 14 and older for this trip. If we get more interest than six boys we will select based on age, then rank.
Contact Mr. Cummings or the Scoutmaster@bsatroop727.org if you wish to go by Noon on Saturday, March 25th. A deposit of $100 per participant is due on March 26th.
Sign up to help us raise money at the Flying Pig in May!
We are in need of 40 volunteers to sign up and attend the Flying Pig Marathon on Sunday, May 7! This is a big fundraiser for the troop, and it is fun! Mrs. O’Connor, Ms. Hayden and Mrs. Pettit worked a trial run at the Mini Heart Marathon on March 12! They arrived at 6:30 AM to great music, fun attitudes and very grateful runners to work the Fluid Station (giving runners water and Gatorade). This is what we will be doing when all of us work at the Flying Pig! Hours will be 6:30 am to approximately 12:30 PM. So far, we have 10 volunteers registered. We need 30 more!
We also were informed that we could make more money if we receive First, Second or Third place in decorating our station and making it a station the runners will not forget! So, we will have music and please send in your creative ideas on how we can win! See below on how to register!
Your Scout must be 14 or over to help out, but PLEASE help us out! For those Scouts ages 14-18, we will need 1:3 ratio of adults. I know the WHOA weekend is also during this time, so for those of you older scouts and adults not going to WHOA, please come and join us! The deadline to register is April 25th, or another group may be assigned to take over our station!
Note that this year working the Flying Pig Marathon will count as working one of the two required fundraisers for the year!
1) Follow the direct link to our online volunteer registration site: http://volunteer.getmeregistered.com/events/open_opportunities.php?id=268
2) Find and select Boy Scout Troop 727 from the Group list
3) Complete Required Volunteer Information
4) Use 727 as the group password when asked near the end of the form.
5) Click “Get Me Registered” to submit your information
6) Email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell Mrs. Pettit you’ve registered!
Get the New Requirements!
Near the end of the last year and throughout January we announced that the new 2016 rank Requirements would take affect at the start of 2017 for ALL Scouts. For anyone with an old book (prior to 2016) the Scoutmasters will no longer be signing requirements out of that book. You can download a free pamphlet with the new requirements so you don’t have to purchase a new book if you do not wish to.
First Aid Merit Badge Wraps up– 26th
For those working on the First Aid Merit Badge with Mr. Davies, the classes wraps up on March 26th. The session will be at the Boone Co. Sheriff’s office on Conrad Lane.
An Environmental Service Opportunity, March 25th
You can help restore the native woodlands around the Piner property of Big Bone Lick State Park. The NKY Urban Forestry group will be planting trees along Gum Branch Creek from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Got to http://www.nkyurbanforestry.org/reforest-nky.html to register.
This is not a troop led service project, so please make sure you attend with a parent or buddy. There may not be any adult leaders from the troop present. f you do participate make sure to get one of the organizers to sign your book for what you helped with and how long you were there for your service log. Contact email@example.com if you have additional questions.
A Service Opportunity, April 1st
The Mobile Food Pantry will be at Grace Episcopal Church on April 1st from 9:15 AM to 12:30 PM. They could use some help moving the donations around, loading the truck and more. This would be a good opportunity to show how Scouts give to the community and make an impact on people’s lives. This service will be pretty physical, including lifting heavier boxes.
This is not a troop led service opportunity, so please make sure you attend with a parent or buddy. There may not be any adult leaders from the troop present. If you do participate make sure to get one of the organizers to sign your book for what you helped with and how long you were there for your service log.
If you have questions please contact 859-371-5951 for more information.
Help Pack 727 Collect Plastic Lids!
The Cub Scout Pack at IHM is collecting plastic lids to complete their World Conservation award. They need 400 lbs of lids! Please start saving your lids now. The Pack will start collecting them in the near future and will be collecting for several months. More information on dates they’ll start collecting will be coming soon.